Any parents currently living apart should be advised to have a kleenex ready before they start reading. “When your Mum has turned into a beast, a lot of things change.” is the laconic beginning of this book. A little boy tells about the time when his mother has become sad and disgruntled, in short: a beast . Having a beast as your mother does have its advantages, though: it’s easier to sneak in some sweets at the supermarket checkout or to win the football match in the yard. At night, the beast slips into his bed, which is very comfy. But also cramped. And on many evenings, he has to console the beast instead of having fun with it.
How long does this “monstrousness” last? With beautifully sad and funny pictures and accompagnied by sparse sentences, the little boy tells how the heart-rending and adorable beast slowly reverts back to being his mum.
Based on a short film (by the makers of the Gruffalo-film) which has been showered with international awards, this book depicts the emotions of a child of divorced parents in a heart-warming, playful and appealing manner.
Tears right into your heart and is the
picture-book to have on the topic “divorce”.
For all children with “beasts” of their own - and their parents
Emotional pictures full of wit, vigour and sadness
A book to laugh about, cry about and to take comfort in
Film Awards (selection):
- Best screenplay (Goldener Spatz), Germany
- Cristal-Award for best TV-Production (Festival Annecy), France
- Best Children’s Picture (Cartoons on the Bay-Festival), Italy
- Golden Magnolia Award Shanghai 2010, PR China
- Encounters International Film Festival 2010 / Animated Encounters Grand Prix & Young People's Jury Award, UK
- Cartoon d'Or 2011 (Best European Animated Short Film)